Saturday, 31 May 2014

Celtic Thunder

Let me set the scene for you.


Last year, around mid August one evening mum and I were watching some Celtic Thunder DVD's.  While Keith Harkin, Ryan Kelly and Neil Byrne were singing Hallelujah, I went and looked for a certain lyric.  So off onto Google I went and had only typed in 'Celtic Thunder H' when 'Celtic Thunder Hobart' popped up as an option to search.  At this point, I had started to get a little excited.  Celtic Thunder had previously toured Australia, but didn't come to Tasmania, so for me seeing that they would be in the same state as me was awesome!

Pausing the DVD, I shared what I had just seen with mum and she suggested that I have a look to see on the off chance if they would venture up to Launceston.  Long story short, they were.  And I may or may not have expressed my joy for this in a very mature way.  I was completely calm hearing that one of my favourite singing groups would be coming to Launceston.

Fast forward two hundred and sixty nine days.  Yes I counted.

When the day (finally) arrived I don't really know how to describe how I was feeling.  I knew it was going to be a bittersweet night.  One of the original singers, George Donaldson had passed away, and Emmet Cahill who had left Celtic Thunder to start a solo career, returned for the Mythology Tour to pay homage to George.  I had always wanted to meet Emmet, and was over the moon that I had a chance to meet him, but truly wish it wasn't going to be under these circumstances.

Throughout the day of the show, I was glued to nearly all forms of social media.  It wasn't until Keith posted a photo on Instagram that I knew they were at the venue.  They would be performing at the Princess Theatre, and I have spent a lot of time there for music competitions and shows so I recognized that he was in one of the change rooms.

I would like to point out that I was keeping my cool.  One hundred percent cool, calm and collected.

 
Mum and I were fortunate enough to get tickets where we got to meet two of the singers, so we had to arrive at the venue earlier.  While we were waiting, I talked with a few other people who had the same tickets as us and everyone got excited when Neil came into sight and gave us all a little wave.  We also saw Emmet briefly, but I think everyone, was too nervous to go up to them and say hello and ask for a photo. 

Not long later, we were ushered inside where the meet and greet would take place.  I sat with mum and three other ladies we had met outside.  I also soon realised that I may be the youngest person there.  We were given a little tour gift and a souvenir booklet which had been signed by everyone and were also treated to a selection of nibblies and drinks.  Mum and I opted for orange juice.

It was honestly a shock when Keith and Neil walked into the room.  I never knew what my reaction was going to be when I finally got to meet them.  To my great surprise, I was fine.  Sure, a little star struck and a couple of butterflies, but thankfully I didn't start crying.  I was luckily one of the first people to meet them and have a photo and I think I reverted to my shy self slightly, but was still able to have a little talk with them and also a nice photo. 

It was a surreal moment to be right next to Keith and Neil.  From watching them on a DVD to listening to their music and then to actually see them and meet in real life; that's just something I can't put into words.


OMG is a very good way of expressing how I felt. 


At the time I felt it was necessary to have a photo of Keith, Neil and myself on my phone...

The show in itself was amazing!  I was lucky enough to sit in the front row, something which I will never forget!  It's one thing to hear their voices coming from the speakers, but it was awesome to be so close and also hear everything live.  It was awesome to see the Celtic Thunder Band play and they sounded amazing.  The dresses which Nicole Hudson, Laura Durrant and Seana Davey were wearing looked gorgeous and David Munro, Dave Bakey and Barry Kerr looked very swish in what they had on.

I always had a smile on my face for the duration of the show and was singing along with whoever was singing at the time.  Dancing in my seat with the lady next to me may have occurred in a few songs.

My favourite songs which were performed were Voices (performed by all members), Rosa (written and sung by Keith), Life With You (originally George would have sung this one but everyone joined in for this, dance moves and all), and Ireland's Call (performed by all).  Ireland's Call was the final song which Celtic Thunder would perform, and myself, having watched the DVD's knew that Celtic Thunder did have a set of moves to do during the chorus.  So naturally, I joined in and Keith, Emmet, Neil, Colm and Ryan did see.  Life goal complete.

I had an absolutely amazing night and was thankful I could share it with my mum.  Going to see Celtic Thunder perform has been something I have wanted to do ever since I first heard them back when I was in college, and I am so happy that I have been lucky enough to do this as well as meet two of them.

Until next time!  Toodle pip! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! I love reading each and every one of them and will always reply to them whenever I can!

Please feel free to leave your blog links when you comment, as I always love to read new blog!

If you want a quick response for any questions you have, you can always send me a tweet: @emmadaisy___ :) Em xx