Sunday, 31 August 2014

ANZAC Biscuits

Hiya :)

My family is having a quiet Sunday and mum and myself have decided to be nutters and do a little bit of cooking/baking.  Note this is a direct quote from mum (insert correct referencing and all that fun stuff.....) !!

For a little, well not so little when you see the size of them, nibbly we've been baking some ANZAC biscuits.  I love these and with the exception of double choc-chip cookies (I know I'm healthy) these are my favourite biscuits!  I loved them as a little girl and I still love them now!

We're using a recipe from a book which mum has had for ages and the recipe always turns out well (and delicious) for us so I thought I would share it with you all!

INGREDIENTS:
  • 130g of butter
  • 1 tablespoon of golden syrup
  • 1 cup of plain flour
  • Pinch of salt
  • 1 cup of coconut (we used shredded)
  • 1 cup of sugar (you can use whatever sugar you have on hand)
  • 1 cup of rolled oats
  • 2 teaspoons of bicarbonate of soda
  • 2 tablespoons of boiling water
  • 6 drops of vanilla

RECIPE:
  1. Preheat you oven to 180°C.
  2. Cover baking trays with baking paper (you can grease the trays, but as there is a lot of butter, baking paper will do the trick.
  3. Gently melt the butter and golden syrup but make sure it does not boil or burn!
  4. Sift the flour and salt into the butter and golden syrup once it's dissolved (do this away from heat).
  5. Add the sugar, coconut, rolled oats and vanilla.
  6. Dissolve the bicarbonate of soda with the boiled water.
  7. Mix all these ingredients together well.
  8. Roll mixture into small balls and place on the lined baking tray, allowing some room for the biscuits to flatten and spread while they're cooking.
  9. Bake in the oven for 12-15 minutes.
  10. Once cooked allow them to rest for a minute or so and then using a spatula (or whatever you find helpful) move the biscuits onto a cooling rack.
  11. Eat them!

Note that after you have backed the first batch, use this as a guide for the cooking times and temperature for the batches to follow.  For ours we ended up cooking for 12 minutes at 180°C but be mindful that ovens do vary and baking should be done to personal preference.  What we like may not be what you like and that is fine!!

Also a very important piece of information, is that it is a vital step to taste the uncooked mixture!  You know, you have to check that is tastes delicious and well balanced!







Hope you enjoyed this post!  Once again not a chef or baker of any kind!  Feel free to try them out and let me know what you think of them and how they turned out for you!!  Do you have a favourite recipe which you have loved since you were a kid?! Let me know in the comments!!

Until next time, bye from my mum and me and don't forget to keep smiling :) :) :) xx

6 comments:

  1. Oh,this post was so amazing.Love the way it turned out :)))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely recipe and they seem pretty healthy too! Abi :) myw0rldmyview.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh these look lovely and I've been seeing a lot of recipes lately but I have such a sweet tooth so all these biscuits, brownies and desserts are making me want to make homemade goodies hahaha!

    Layla xx

    www.sprinklesofstyle.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I know how you feel! Always good to treat yourself sometimes!! :) xx

      Delete

Thank you for your comments! I love reading each and every one of them and will always reply to them whenever I can!

Please feel free to leave your blog links when you comment, as I always love to read new blog!

If you want a quick response for any questions you have, you can always send me a tweet: @emmadaisy___ :) Em xx