Thursday, 13 August 2015

A Weekend In Victoria

Some of you might know that I play the clarinet and I've been playing for 12 years now.  This weekend just gone we went to Victoria to play in a competition and also perform in a concert the following day and it was a very jam-packed weekend!!


We had to be at the airport at 6am which I personally didn't mind because out of everyone going I live closest to the airport haha but in saying this I did wake up at around 4am because I knew I was going to take forever to wake up and get ready!  I also wanted more time to double check that I had packed everything...  Ended up forgetting to bring food which I later found out when we were on the bus and I wasn't too pleased hahaha

Usually on these trips we're seated alphabetically and I've got no problem with that but I was so excited when I found out I would be sitting with Jasmine, one of my clarinet buddies!  It was probably the best flight I've been on!  There was Ed Sheeran, McBusted and Little Mix listening, photo taking of the view and general flight awesomeness! 


We took a bus to Melbourne where we'd drop out suitcases off and then have some time to have a look around at the Queen Victoria Market.  I've been to the market a few times now and the only thing on my mind was to get to those damn donuts!  There is this caravan and they make the most DELICIOUS donuts ever!  Move over Wendy's and Krispy Kreme - these donuts hold a special place in my heart!

We were walking back to the hotel/avoiding a person I just saw and I spotted this and fell in love!  I wish I could have seen what it looked like at nighttime - would have looked so cute!  There was another little lane way with bunting hanging over and oh it looked so nice!

I personally love walking around markets and even though a lot of the stores were repeated I had an awesome time and saw a lot of things I wanted to buy!  If I had brought a bigger suitcase things would have been a lot different!


For the time that we were at the markets, I walked with Jasmine and a girl called Kate who plays flute and it was so nice to just be with friends :) and not in the usual place where we'd always be.  Being in the music room is fun but being with my music friend and on a little "holiday" of sorts was amazing!


 Can we just appreciate my failed photo attempts!!!

When our time was up at the markets, we had to re-group and pop back onto the bus and travel to Geelong where the competition would be held.  Victorian Schools Band Festival is what the competition was called and to be honest I wasn't nervous.  One, I was completely confident with the music that we were playing and also I wouldn't be sitting in my usual spot!  I normally sit on the end of the row on the left hand side of the conductor and this time one of the younger clarinet players would be sitting there so the pressure would be off me ;) hahaha



We were able to go into Geelong and have some lunch and went to Westfield and it was chaos!  We didn't know but there was this event of sorts happening and there were a lot of teenage girls around so we thought it was a band or something...  Nope just some actors from a TV show which I've never watched an episode of...  The place was packed and there was random moments of screaming which to be honest got a bit annoying after a while!  I got a vegetarian rice paper roll and did enjoy eating it!  There was mint in the roll, which tasted a bit strange but apart from that it was great!  Because I'd left my food at home, I made a quick stop at Bakers Delight and bought myself some bread and I personally thought this was a good move because I love bread and I now had something to eat!

Skipping to the competitions, they went amazingly!  We performed 3 songs and they went down a treat!  There was a live stream which was being broadcasted across the world and my family was watching from home which I loved!  They've never seen me in a music competition before and I loved that they were finally able to see one!  After you perform, one of the adjudicators would come down and we'd have a little masterclass with them and they'd go through some parts of the song.  This is my favourite part if I'm honest!

I wasn't expecting us to get our results so soon but not long after the last band performed we were all told what shield we'd receive.  You could either get a platinum, gold, silver or bronze shield and our band got a PLATINUM SHIELD!!!!!  My hands hurt so much from clapping!!

*time skip because I can*

Screenshot from the live stream :)

We came back to Geelong the next day because we had another little masterclass with a conductor from China and a few of his musicians.  Damn they were good!  After this we had the most rushed lunch and were back to perform in a concert!  Now this time round I was a little nervous, but mostly because we were being live streamed again and there was a bit more at stake and no one wants to stuff up and have that be seen by goodness knows how many people!

The venue we performed in was amazing!  The lights at the back would change colours and I didn't realise this until I was sitting in the audience!  Can you see me? ;)

Thankfully the performance went well and we could all relax and watch the other bands!  I was really looking forward to seeing the people from Melbourne uni but sadly we had to leave so we could get to the airport in time :(

I got sushi and an iced mocha for tea at the airport and there was a sad moment when Jasmine and I realised we wouldn't be sitting next to each other on the way home :( :( :( but I have to mention the flight attendants we had on the way back to Launceston...  They were amazing!  Especially Joel who looked like a Disney Prince - seriously oh my goodness!!

Even though it was such a short trip and we were exhausted by the time we got back I had an amazing time and it's made me so excited for when I'm next in Melbourne!  I've got a list of stuff I want to do, as I'll be there for longer than 2 days hahah

Until next time, keep smiling :)  Em xx

PS!! Come and say hello!!! :) x

8 comments:

  1. I like your blog

    Would u visit mine?
    http://sweetincidents.blogspot.de/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you!! And would love too! :) Em xx

      Delete
  2. What a fun trip! How cool that you play the clarinet! You have a really nice blog, I'm following you now on g+. Checkout my blog and if you like it follow me too. Let's keep in touch!

    http://perlasancheza.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was quite fun! Very busy but I loved it! And shall do :) Em xx

      Delete
  3. Love your blog and all these great pictures! Would you like to follow each other? Let me know and I follow you back?

    Bea Pink Room

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you!! Would love too! Em xx

      Delete
  4. Looks like you had so much fun!! The pictures you took on the airplane are beautiful! My sister and I would always fight to get the window seat and just look outside <3

    Lipstick and Mocha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a window seat on the way back but the isle seat was the best one haha only because of Joel the flight attendant hehehe :P Em xx

      Delete

Thank you for your comments! I love reading each and every one of them and will always reply to them whenever I can!

Please feel free to leave your blog links when you comment, as I always love to read new blog!

If you want a quick response for any questions you have, you can always send me a tweet: @emmadaisy___ :) Em xx