Officially semester 2 has come to an end and we are currently on study period. Study period for me isn't a time where I study for exams as in my degree we don't have them but what I do have are highly weighted assignments and folios. The only thing I have left to hand in is my folio for my art unit and once that is submitted it's holidays for me!
I went into uni on my day off to get more prints done for my art folio and after many disasters I knew I needed to go back in and get some more prints out if I wanted to feel confident about what I was submitting! I ended up focusing on silk screening, as out of the three processes we looked at during the semester, it was the one which I enjoyed the most and found the most satisfaction when my prints were produced! The majority of my silk screen prints were made with me making stencils with freezer paper and then going over them with ink, I had wanted to use a photo emulsion which would allow me to make prints of photographs I'd taken but we ran out of the emulsion so I had to scrap that idea!
So before last Thursday, I made a bunch of little stencils which were silhouettes of shapes and objects but were made out of a series of smaller shapes. I had a love heart made from triangles, a wonky little street view, a palm tree with squares and triangles and quite a few more! I'd wanted to try this sort of concept out after I did research on an artist and saw a few of her pieces! I'm not the most talented person when it comes to drawing but absolutely loved doing these abstract silhouette type pieces!
I got so much work done in these two days which I was so happy with and also the prints which I produced I was SO extremely chuffed with! I usually stick to one colour when I print or mixing a few and having a rainbow/ombre effect happening but I managed to get two separate block colours into one of my prints and it's probably my most favourite print which I've done. I drew a pineapple and then cut out shapes in it so it would be abstract and follow with what I'd already been doing. I mixed the most vibrant green ink and really wish I'd made more so I could take some home and used this to get the top part of the pineapple and then set all the prints aside to dry completely! On two previous occasions, I'd thought my prints were dry and they weren't and long story short there were rips, ruined prints and tears. So to avoid this happening for a third time, I left my prints for a LONG time, a very long time before I put them under the frame to pop in the yellow ink for the bottom part of the pineapple.
I was so scared that it wasn't going to work but thankfully they all turned out amazingly! There were some issues with my pressure of putting the ink through but apart from that I still think they're awesome! I've got a few friends who want some when I'm done with assessment, so you never know I could ditch interior design and go into printmaking!
I don't know how many prints I produced over the two days but I know that I'm going to be happy with what I can submit with my folio! Now all that is left to do is collect my last prints from uni, select which ones go into my self directed part of my folio, finish off my technical appraisal and finish my journal! I'm a but worried I'll run out of space in my journal but if that happens I'll just have to go out and buy a new one of stick pages into the back of my original journal! Decisions decisions!
When I get my prints back from assessment, I'm going to be framing a few of them and putting them up in my room! I'll also take better more aesthetically pleasing photos of them to show on here! I was going to have more photos of the other prints I did but they're photos that I've taken for my journal and you know, I'm not really going to stick them in a blog post haha
Hope you are having an amazing time wherever you are in the world!
PS!! Come and say hello!!! :) x