Monday, 4 January 2016

Melbourne Holiday: Sea Life Aquarium & Eureka Tower

Something I have always wanted to do but have never had the chance or opportunity to go and see is an aquarium!  I don't believe there are any in Tasmania (if there is one I'll be mighty disappointed) and so being in Melbourne, high on our list of things to go and see was the Sea Life Aquarium, also known as the fish zoo!  When I'd been to Melbourne previously we were sitting having some ice cream and across the Yarra River I could see the aquarium and was so jealous that we didn't get to have a visit!

After grabbing something to eat for breakfast we decided to walk to the aquarium instead of taking a tram or taxi.  It took us over half an hour to walk there but the walk was so nice!  I love walking around and being able to take in the city you're exploring!  When we arrived we walked around and had a look up and down the Yarra River and took a few photos before going inside.  There was a school visiting at the same time that we were this which made things interesting!


I was in awe walking around.  One because I've never been to an aquarium before but I was also just fascinated by what I was seeing!  I didn't touch anything when we were allowed but it was just so awesome to see sea life up close!

One thing I soon realised that photo taking was going to be a challenge.  The fish are faster than I expected and aren't the type to stop and pause for a photo!  Also the school kids didn't make trying to take photos any easier!


It was a surreal experience seeing sharks swim by and sting rays as well!  Sharks do look quite intimidating but I loved watching them swim by.  One of my favourite places was Ocean Theatre.  We ended up sitting there for quite a long time and just took it all in.  I also loved it when little toddlers were more interested in the getting up the stairs instead of the fish and sharks; was incredibly cute!  The underwater tunnel was also something I was looking forward too!  It was a little disorientating if you got too close to the glass but was amazing when a sting ray would swim over your hear; they look so friendly from the underside!

What excited me the most was the penguins.  In primary school I did a project on Antarctica and my favourite part of that project was the penguins.  I could have fitted in pretty well with the excitable kids!  Again it was a surreal experience seeing penguins and we spent such a long time watching them.  I loved seeing them swim around - they are just so graceful in the water!


We had lunch in the aquariums Adventure Cafe and I felt a little guilty because I bought fish and chips and we were in an aquarium and we were eating fish and there was a massive curved tank in the cafe and I just felt a bit guilty...

After having lunch we both decided that because we'd rushed a few of the sections to dodge the school kids that we'd have another walk around.  It was a pretty good decision to make and we ended up spending the majority of this time just sitting and watching.  Again we spent a lot of time at the Ocean Theatre and with the penguins and honestly I could spend hours watching the penguins!  We found this little side bit and no one was there so we had really a perfect view of the penguins swimming around!

Frogs I now believe are some of the most chilled amphibians.  Just look at them.  Also sometimes feel like they're judging you in a way hahaha!


When we finally finished in the aquarium, it was hours later and when we went outside it was quite hot so I suggested we go over the river and grab some gelato along the Yarra Promenade!  I can't for the life of me remember what the place was called and this is the first time google is failing me at getting the name of a shop!  I got a single scoop of cookies and cream and it was delicious!  I've also had the chocolate one before and it's the best!


After gelato (and sorry for how long this is getting) another place I really wanted to visit was the Eureka Tower.  I was prepared to go alone if I had too!  I'd been to the tower before and had gone during the evening and the view was spectacular but I was so looking forward to seeing the view during the day time!  We got tickets so we could also have the Edge Experience and I was keen!  We shared the 33 second elevator ride with a tourist from Europe and when the elevator doors I was not disappointed when I saw the view.  It.  Was.  Incredible.


If you're not comfortable with heights, I wouldn't recommend going here but if heights are a walk in the park, you have to go here!  You get an amazing view wherever you look and there is no other place where you can get views like this in Melbourne!  You can walk about the 88th floor and see so many of the landmarks scattered throughout Melbourne and we spent some time trying the find the set of apartments where The Block was filmed!  A few people didn't understand my excitement when I found it!


The Edge experience was probably my favourite.  Essentially, you go into this glass cube which then goes out and moves from the edge of the Tower.  While the cube is moving out of the tower, the glass is clouded so you can't see the view but then the glass becomes clear and the view once again, is amazing!  You're standing on glass so you can see straight down to the street and I loved it!  The people we shared the cube with as well were amazing and it was so nice to share our travel stories.

Right I didn't realise how long this post was getting!!  Seriously was such a fun day!

Until next time, keep smiling :)  Em xx

PS!! Come and say hello!!! :) x

10 comments:

  1. The cube sounds terrifying! I think I'll stick to the penguins and frogs :)

    Corinne x
    www.skinnedcartree.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure how I'd feel about the cube if there was terrible weather hahah I really want to go back to the aquarium!! Em xx

      Delete
  2. Looks like you had an amazing time! My sister swam with sharks in an aquarium in London last year and she said it was amazing - I'd love to give it a try x

    www.sheintheknow.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it was awesome fun! I didn't realise there was a shark dive experience you could do at this aquarium! So would have done it if I knew about it earlier!!! Em xx

      Delete
  3. Oh these photos are brathtaking! I can0t wait to visit this city! It fascinates me so much :) Thanks for sharing!

    Check out my blog if you want: www.theglamandglitter.com

    Tamara xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you! Good old iPhone 4s providing the goods! Hope you can come for a visit soon! Em xx

      Delete
  4. Photos are so pretty! xx

    www.adaliascloset.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad to hear you enjoyed Melbourne! I live in Melbourne but I actually only went to the Eureka tower literally about two days ago. You're right that the view there is so amazing.

    www.thesundaymode.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to move to Melbourne, one of my favourite places! Could easily get used to living there! :) Em xx

      Delete

Thank you for your comments! I love reading each and every one of them and will always reply to them whenever I can!

Please feel free to leave your blog links when you comment, as I always love to read new blog!

If you want a quick response for any questions you have, you can always send me a tweet: @emmadaisy___ :) Em xx