Thursday, 21 January 2016

Melbourne Holiday: Melbourne Zoo

Sunday on my little Melbourne holiday started with a slow start.  We didn't get back to our apartment until the early hours of the morning and sleep was in order!  I know it was a holiday and people would say "get out and do stuff!" but I'd much rather do stuff and be wide awake!

I don't think we anticipated how long the walk would be to get to the zoo.  Also the humidity didn't help either!  What I did love about walking there though was you got to see so much more.  When you're in a taxi or tram you're not going at a walking pace and although you'll arrive at your destination faster you miss out on taking the surroundings.  We walked past where the University of Melbourne and it was nice to see the buildings and architecture, and also where I might be studying if I do another degree after my current one!


Maybe over half an hour later we arrived and I was buggered!  Seeing as we slept through breakfast time, the only thing on my mind was getting something to eat!  So once we paid for our entry and was helped out by one of the zoo staff (who was an absolute sweetheart!) we went straight to a cafe!  I got a spinach and feta roll and also a thing of freckle lollies because I felt like it!  I made some new friends while eating as well...  A few pigeons, who were so lovely and friendly, pecked around at my feet while I ate!


Having never been to the zoo before we followed the map we were given and sorted out a route we'd take and off we went.  Like with the aquarium is was an awesome experience seeing animals I'd never usually get to see.  I LOVE meerkats and would have spent hours watching them.  They are just the cutest!  Some of the animals I have to say weren't that cooperative with having their photos taken.  You could just see them with your own eyes but trying to get a photo of them was near impossible!  Sumatran Tiger I am talking to you!!


It's funny trying to also take photos and have to deal with tourists..  If I see people trying to take photos I'll walk behind and not straight through their shot.  Half of my photos were full of people walking through and I'm going "can't you see I'm taking a photo?!?!?!" and then I'd normally give up from that spot and move to another area!  Was also funny seeing the squabbles that broke out over how photos looked.  One half of a duo was complaining the photo taker didn't capture the atmosphere of the zoo and the poor photo taker was looking awfully confused!

I also let my inner kid be free when I saw there was a maze.  The Wombat's Secret Maze or 'Loos Yourself' was a refreshing change to being bumped into by tourists!  I found the centre bit quite easily but if I was a lot shorter things would have been different!  There was also a toilet seat with a mirror - perfect opportunities for photos!  And also who can resist a tunnel slide?!  Was a bit awkward when I got slightly stuck but fun nonetheless!


Growing up I've seen hundreds of photos of elephants and have seen them on the tv and I'd be thinking yeah they're quite big..  It was totally surreal to see one in person.  It was feeding time for some of the elephants and I was just in awe.  They have the most gorgeous eyes I have ever seen.  And they are huge.  I honestly felt like a mouse or maybe a meerkat.


One thing I loved about the zoo was watching the other people.  This goes for any place really, but I just love watching people.  Not in a stalkerish way but it's just so nice to see how everyone reacts to seeing an elephant or monkey.  Or the people who try to not look interested but inside they're probably jumping up and down!  Little kids also provided some chuckles.  You'd have parents trying to get a reaction for adorable photos but the kid would just stand there with a blank face probably thinking "mum you are so embarrassing, it's a big cat, wow."!!

The people who work here were also awesome!  The lady we initially spoke to was amazing and everyone we came across seemed completely genuine which was so nice to see.  If you had a question, no matter how big or small, they'd be more than happy to answer and no one ever looked at you weirdly when you told them you'd walked all the way from the city to get here instead of taking the sensible option of getting a taxi or taking the tram!

Has anyone ever been to the Melbourne Zoo or any other zoos?  I'd love to go and visit more in the future :)


Until next time, keep smiling :)  Em xx

PS!! Come and say hello!!! :) x

18 comments:

  1. It has been so long since I've been to a zoo, I guess the last time was when I was a kid. When I was living in the UK, I was only 10 minutes away from the biggest zoo but never went there, shame on me! Toilet seat mirror... I wonder who came up with that :) I also hate it when people don't care if I take photo or not, can't they just be more understanding! x

    www.elabellaworld.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh really? There is a small zoo in the city where I live but I've never been there!! Definitely going to go and check it out! Some people just have no manners when taking photos and being mindful of others :/ Em xx

      Delete
  2. Seems like you had a great time, I love zoo's!
    I want to go to Melbourne's one day
    http://clandestine-v.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah was an awesome day! You so should! Melbourne is like my second home :) Em xx

      Delete
  3. I am loving all of your photos, as always, and this makes me want to travel to Melbourne now! The zoo looks lovely, with so many different animals! xx adaatude.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you! I love Melbourne, such a diverse city! I really want to go back to the zoo as well hahah Em xx

      Delete
  4. These animal are so beautiful ♥

    http://anna-alina.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh I LOVE zoos! It's so much fun to see exotic animals and marvel at them! The zoo by my house (The Philadelphia Zoo) just added a suspended air walk for the big cats so you could have a tiger walking above you! I cannot wait to check it out!! It looks so cool!

    Shannon Sage

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah I agree so much! Was so nice to see animals I'd never normally get the chance to see!!! And OMG that sounds amazing! I want to go there :) Em xx

      Delete
  6. Great photos, looks like you had a fun time! I'm so jealous of the weather you have, we've had permanent rain where I live for two weeks now! Would love if you could check out my fashion blog?

    The Fashion Road

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Had so much fun here! I would easily swap right now! We've been on fire watch for a while so that hasn't been the best.. Can't wait to read some of your posts :) Em xx

      Delete
  7. Very nice post ! :) Love your blog <3

    Suzanne xx
    Check my blog : http://yourlovelyplace.blogspot.fr/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you! Looking forward to reading your posts! Em xx

      Delete
  8. I love going to Zoo's, I'd love to visit Melbourne! It's on my list of places to go in my lifetime
    Jess | www.beautifulbreakable.com ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you get to go there and visit one day! So many amazing places to explore!! Em xx

      Delete

Thank you for your comments! I love reading each and every one of them and will always reply to them whenever I can!

Please feel free to leave your blog links when you comment, as I always love to read new blog!

If you want a quick response for any questions you have, you can always send me a tweet: @emmadaisy___ :) Em xx