Saturday, 23 April 2016

Why Shaming Of Any Kind Needs To STOP!

It's 2016.  Why is shaming of any kind still a thing?


Since when is it acceptable for people to be called "basic" for wearing minimal or no makeup?  And on the flip side, why do people think it's alright calling someone who wears a lot of makeup "cake face"?

If someone wants to wear no makeup or minimal makeup doesn't mean they're better than you and if someone chooses to wear a full face or makeup doesn't make them better than those who don't wear makeup.  You're not basic and shouldn't feel ashamed if you don't wear all that much makeup and you shouldn't feel like you're committing a crime for wearing makeup.  Also shaming people into wearing makeup!  If someone feels comfortable and happy with how they look makeup free why do you feel you have the right to tell them that they have to cover up their blemishes or make their eyebrows look more presentable or on fleek?  Your face belongs to you and you can do whatever you want to do with it.

Reading magazines and seeing how some writers completely pull apart someones outfit is something I really dislike seeing.  Yes I understand that everyone has a right to their own opinion but to the point where you are bullying someone is completely unacceptable!!  Saying they won't get a date, or "that's why they're single" if they contour for example, is just wrong.  Girls being told that because they like to rock a messy bun is really off putting to prospective partners - what exactly are they trying to achieve?

Why are women bringing other women down?  What are you achieving by doing that exactly?  We should be supporting the choices other choose to make, not knocking them down and making them feel inferior.

Why is body shaming still a thing?  Why do people still get shamed for the job they have, the car they drive, the music they listen to?  Why?  I just don't understand.  Why if someone chooses to not drink alcohol do people think it's alright to call them boring and make them feel like absolute crap because they'd rather spend their Friday night in as opposed to out on the town?  And then again on the flip side, why are people who drink alcohol labeled as alcoholics?  Why do people feel they have the right to shame other people's lifestyle choices?  Their diet choices, their music preferences, what movies they enjoy watching?  Shaming someone on their sexuality?  I am just at a loss to be honest.

The internet is an amazing thing but it's also one of the worst.  Before if you wanted to say something to another person you had to go up to them personally and say it to their face.  Now you can just type and press enter.  You can hide behind a computer screen and say whatever you want.  And I really don't like that.  If you can't say something to someones face, don't say it at all.  Simple as that.

I feel like many people forget the "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it at all" and it's so sad to see.  Think before you speak and think before you type.

I just truly can't wait for the day when shaming isn't a thing.  We don't need it in the world.  There are far more pressing problems to focus on. 

Until next time, keep smiling :)  Em xx

PS!! Come and say hello!!! :) x

12 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing this, those are my exact thoughts as well & I just wish more people realised the things you've mentioned in your post! Nothing makes me more upset than when people think they have the right to put others down for what they like, wear, or what kind of lifestyle they have. Just like you I really don't get it either - like why is it so hard to accept others for who they are? To me, it just doesn't make sense at all.

    Sara / AboutLittleThiings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's just so annoying to see all the negativity on the internet! The moment people realise that's we're individuals and that it's our choice how we live our lives, I think the world and the internet will start to be a more positive place :) Em xx

      Delete
  2. 1000% agree with you!! I saw this image of a reply curvy girl and it was captioned with something like "at least I'm a real woman. Real women have curves not the bodies of twelve year olds." And I was like Whaaat?! It's so offensive! Same with being judged for wearing makeup, or being called an airhead or dumb because you're interested in clothes and fashion?! I ask you, where is the logic?! Xx

    http://lifeaccordingtolili.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I HATE when you see those types of images! I honestly don't understand why people think it's appropriate to post that type of thing! Just doesn't make any sense! No logic at all!!! Em xx

      Delete
  3. Incredibly amazing post, Emma. It had to be told. I also don't understand the meaning behind all of this shaming. And what more is that I don't understand why people waste their time commenting on others photos, post, videos or whatever negative things? Why can't they pass something they don't appreciate and just ignore it? Everyone is entitled to have their own opinion but it doesn't mean you can go around talking crap to everyone. I always loved how our teacher told us "Don't miss an opportunity to stay quiet". And it is the best thing I have ever learn in my life :)

    -Leta | The Nerdy Me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Leta! I agree, I don't see why people just can't scroll past instead of leaving negative comments! Literally one more swipe is all it takes! I love what your teacher said, needs to be learnt by so many people in the world! Em xx

      Delete
  4. This is definitely a post that needs to be shared - I totally agree with you! People shame others for the smallest of things and it needs to stop - such a good post Emma xx

    Eleanorclaudie.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It doesn't help or solve anything! Shaming is just a complete waste of time!! Thank you :) Em xx

      Delete
  5. Oh my gosh, so well said! Honestly, the amount of shame I get for not drinking, for not wearing make-up etc etc. It's so wrong. This is my life, these are my choices. There's nothing wrong with me just because I choose to live my life this way. Just as I wouldn't shame someone who liked to drink, who always wore make-up. Shaming needs to stop. Soon! x www.aimeeraindropwrites.co.uk x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! I don't drink either and I said this at uni the other day and the looks I got.... Erm my body my choice what I decide to drink! I have no problem if my friends want to drink, it's their choice, simple as that! Looking forward to when shaming is just a distant memory! :) Em xx

      Delete
  6. This is such an excellent post, it's so important for us not to shame one another EVER because it truly depletes confidence and makes people feel terrible! xx adaatude.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you lovely! I just don't see why it happens! The world just doesn't need it!! Em xx

      Delete

Thank you for your comments! I love reading each and every one of them and will always reply to them whenever I can!

Please feel free to leave your blog links when you comment, as I always love to read new blog!

If you want a quick response for any questions you have, you can always send me a tweet: @emmadaisy___ :) Em xx