Saturday, 7 May 2016

A University Ramble

I knew that university was never going to be easy.  I think I'd be pretty silly if I thought uni would be a walk in the park.

University is hard.  And each degree is going to be challenging in their own way.


Studying design is difficult.  Studying interior design is more difficult than I ever imagined.  When I say I'm studying interior design, really I should be saying interior architect.  I have never had to pick out which cushions go with the curtains in a room or select which photo frames should go on the tallboy which I've selected to work within a bedroom design.  I've had to sort through fabric samples for a project once but really that's it.  If you want to know how carpet is actually made, then yeah I know that!

I've had to design student accommodation, a kitchen and restaurant, pieces of furniture, and now currently I'm in the process of "Reinvigorating Albert Hall" so it can house conferences, musical and performing arts performances, markets, dances and the list goes on!  We essentially do what the architects do but on the inside.

There is no right and wrong.  Well no, there is a wrong especially when structural stuff is concerned because no one wants their building to fall down.  It's just like with visual arts, you can create the most amazing work of art but if the people marking your work don't like it, your grades will feel it.  It's not like maths where 2+2=4, which sucks when you've invested so much time only for it to be torn to shreds.

The most annoying thing I have found since being at university, is when you say you're studying interior design and people just assume you're all about paint samples and cushions.  Sure it doesn't seem as hard as law or medicine, but don't just assume we're doing interior decoration.  Also when people say "but anyone can design a building!!' yes but is your building going to be able to stand up?  Will it be to standard?  Chances are no.  Just like I could easily be a lawyer.  But do I know all the laws and fiddly bits that lawyers need to know about?  No I don't.

I love interior design.  And design in general.  Studying interior design has allowed me to go and studying visual arts and I have found a new love for textiles and print making!  But university is hard.  It has it's ups but it also has it's downs.

I have around a month until my assignments are due and it's going to be a stressful situation but I will get there!  If things get a little quiet on here, it'll be thanks to my assignments!

Until next time, keep smiling :)  Em xx

PS!! Come and say hello!!! :) x

12 comments:

  1. Interior was also one of my picks when deciding what design area I should pick! I ended up going with communication design instead and I can definitely say that it is a very difficult degree. I find that many people underestimate design degrees as they look from the outside and see that we have no tests or exams!
    Kathy x
    www.alongcamekathy.blogspot.co.nz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! Thank you! The only tests I've ever had to take in my degree has been a slide test for my architectural history unit and then a weekly test for a timber elective but other than that it's folios, massive presentations, and maybe an essay! I'd take the tests over doing final presentations any day hahah the presentations can be terrifying and I don't think people realise the amount of work that goes into the panels of what we've been working on! Em xx

      Delete
  2. I think that all degrees are hard in a way. And design is a hard one for sure in my mind. It's not about decorations only like you said, you have to know more and it takes a lot of knowledge to make a building stand for real. I wish you all the best with your assignment! And I know that you will do your best :) x

    -Leta | The Nerdy Me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, all degrees are going to be difficult in their own right! So much goes into designing buildings that people don't know about! It is a real eye opener studying interior design I've found! Thank you Leta!! Em xx

      Delete
  3. I can't design anything so I think fair play to you who can :) All your hard work with pay off in the end just remember that!

    Meme xx

    New Post:
    Cat Hampurr Subscription Box April
    www.thedayinthelifeof.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a lot harder than what people believe it to be! My friends are shocked when they see what I do each week! Thank you :) Em xx

      Delete
  4. I have massive respect for anyone who can design stuff. It's not easy; I can't do it! Keep up the hard work, hun. It will pay off! x www.aimeeraindropwrites.co.uk x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah design definitely isn't a walk in the park haha I had some really good feedback in my tutorial yesterday so I hope everything will go smoothly! Em xx

      Delete
  5. i respect for anyone who can design stuff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it is a lot harder than people expect! Em xx

      Delete
  6. I find that many people underestimate design; It's not about decorations only like you said,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes exactly!! It's so annoying that it still happens!! Em xx

      Delete

Thank you for your comments! I love reading each and every one of them and will always reply to them whenever I can!

Please feel free to leave your blog links when you comment, as I always love to read new blog!

If you want a quick response for any questions you have, you can always send me a tweet: @emmadaisy___ :) Em xx