Thursday, 22 December 2016

Baking Christmas Cookies For My Family!!

If you saw yesterdays post you would have read about how I had a plan.



I wanted to surprise my fam by baking some Christmas goodies and have them sitting out on the bench all decorated by the time they got home.  Didn't happen!  However, today is a different day and my family is going to have a little surprise when they're home!!

Yesterday I made some simple Christmas Cookies and used a recipe from Taste but did different icing as I didn't have any lemons.  I had some fun making these haha recipe was pretty simple and it only needed four ingredients so I'm going this should be fine but the difficulty was for capable cooks and like I said yesterday, challenge accepted for me to mess this up!

I'll link the original recipe and then I'll write out below how I went about the recipe.  It's pretty much the same but I did a few things differently to work with what equipment I had in the kitchen!

Christmas Cookies (Biscuit Men from Taste)

INGREDIENTS:
  • 250g chilled unsalted butter (chopped)
  • 2 cups (300g) plain flour
  • 3/4 cup (165g) caster sugar
  • 1 egg

RECIPE:
  • Combine the butter and flour.  I used a hand mixer and then a wooden spoon for this as we don't have a food processor.  The flour went everywhere at the start so I ended up taking out majority of the flour and then swapping to a smaller bowl and going from there instead of all my ingredients going all over me and the bench!  You want to do this til it resembles breadcrumbs but mine looked like large couscous and it still ended up working!  Add the caster sugar and combine.  I had swapped back to my original bigger mixing bowl.  Turn the mixture out onto a floured surface and knead for 1 minute or until smooth.  I know I went for longer than this because I found it quite relaxing!  Divide in half and press into discs, enclose/wrap this up in plastic wrap and chill for 30 minutes.
  • Preheat your oven to 190 degrees C.  Line some baking trays with baking paper and set these aside for later.  Roll dough out on a floured surface and roll them til they're 4-5mm thick.  Mine weren't even and this showed in baking but with a bit more practice we'll be good for the next time I make these!  Using a cookie cutter (pick whatever takes your fancy, I used a Christmas Tree and a star) cut shapes out from the dough and place these on your trays.  Re-roll the dough and continue to cut out your shapes until all the dough has been used!  Bake for until light golden.  You'll see I haven't put a time on how long to leave these in the oven and this is because I strongly suggest you keeping an eye on them while they're baking as we're all going to have different ovens!  I cooked mine between 10-13 minutes and we had a varied success...  But it all comes down to your oven, so make sure to check in on them regularly to see how they're traveling!! 

Mine had a varied success but they all still are pretty tasty and I've got no problem with my fam not eating them hahahah
So that was yesterday and today I knew I was going to do icing of some sort.  The original recipe includes a lemon icing but with no lemons that wasn't going to happen so I ended up melting some chocolate and using this as my icing.  I know there are going to be countless icing recipes so you can just pick one you love and use that one!
We didn't have any piping bags and although in high school I had done piping using baking paper, I didn't want to do this again because I knew how much it frustrated me!  So I grabbed a small plastic bag and spooned the melted chocolate into that and then snipped on a tiny bit of the corner.  It worked really well I have to say and even though my piping skills aren't award worthy I'm still quite happy with how they turned out!

You can decorate these however you want and put on any extra little things.  I grabbed some 100s and 1000s and also these little tiny silver balls (apparently they're called Petit Dragees....) and sprinkled these over some of the trees, and left other trees with just the chocolate.

My cookies are now chilling in the fridge and hopefully they will put a smile on my fams face when they see them!

This is one thing I love about this time of year - seeing the ones you love smile and be happy.  And if a simple Christmas Cookies with interesting decoration on top does that then I'm happy!

Christmas is just around the corner!!  Have you been baking anything?  Let me know in the comments!

Until next time, keep smiling and don't get your tinsel in a tangle ;)   Em xx

PS!  Come and say hello!!! :) x 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! I love reading each and every one of them and will always reply to them whenever I can!

Please feel free to leave your blog links when you comment, as I always love to read new blog!

If you want a quick response for any questions you have, you can always send me a tweet: @emmadaisy___ :) Em xx