Wednesday, 22 March 2017

10 Things To Do When You Have No Power

Yesterday we had a planned power outage and in a way I enjoyed it.  It was like a social media detox and I found that incredibly refreshing!

Last time we had a planned power outage I was at university and it was the day before my graduating assignments were due and that was not a good time!  I couldn't stay home and study and just felt so off about having to go into uni to work but I made it work!  I think dressing down really (really helped) as I wore exercise tights, a flannel over the top of a singlet and then while I brought my converse I took along a pair of thick, comfortable explorer socks and yes I was the most stylish person at uni!!


Use this as a social media detox.  I wrote above that it was like a social media detox for me and really wasn't as hard as I thought it would be.  Did get annoying when I wanted

Do everything you wanted to do but couldn't because you'd get distracted by technology.  For me it's fixing up bits and pieces in my room and I've still got music and the podcast app on my phone so I was able to get through a lot!!  Granted there were many moments while listening to the podcast that I full on was laughing so it took a bit of time to calm down from that hahahah

Get crafty.  With more time on my hands and also because I love scrolling through Pinterest, I see so many things which I'd love to make myself and then from there my mind is just coming up with things to make and I have no idea where everything will go whenever it all gets made but we'll work that out when we get there!  I finished off these little square lines drawings I'd starting making ages ago and they're going to go up on my wall and I started making tassels out of wool which I am sooooooo keen to see them finished!  I'll be putting one near my bed and one near my desk and I'm just really liking them, and they're not even finished yet!!!


Do some exercise.  What a way to pass the time.  I'm hopeless and I mean truly hopeless at sticking to some sort of exercise routine but guess who did some exercise?  ME!!  Ten points to me!  I went on the exercise bike and the also did this mini workout and I'm giving myself a pat on the shoulder!

Get out and enjoy the outdoors.  Bugs that don't understand personal space really ruin this but stepping outside and just enjoying the outdoors is just so worth it!  We are currently raising (I'm talking about them like we're parents) four sunflowers and one is blooming wonderfully and the other three are taking it more slowly but I do love checking them out!  If you haven't seen them, there is a pretty rad photo of one of them up on my Instagram ;)

Do a puzzle.  Crack out this oldie but a goodie!  I had this puzzle in my bedroom and have done it once before and thought why not do it again.  I finished it in less than 15 minutes.  I was thinking it would take me a bit longer than that hahahah


Get those chores out of the way!  Really fun adult task but really good to get out of the way!  Nobody wants to see an unmade bed every time they go in their room so go make that bed of yours!  I was going to say do some vacuuming but hello no power...  So dust maybe?  Just get your chores out of the way so you can relax!

Treat yo self.  Throw on a face mask, do your nails, do some yoga or meditate!  Take time to give yourself some tlc because you deserve it!

Make a fort.  Hide away from a technology and power free world in your very own fort!  Super cosy unless they collapse which isn't the greatest thing..

Look at the clock waiting for the power to come back on.  Not going to lie, I didn't do this.  We had been given times where there would be no power and I feel ripped off because we were without power for maybe 4 hours and I was expecting to go double that.  So when I saw the power was back on, I was like nope we are sticking this out til the end!  I didn't turn the wifi back on, didn't get hungry for something that I couldn't eat from the pantry (thank goodness) and kept doing what I was doing and achieved so much!

Going to sound odd but I loved having no power.  Mum asked how my day was and I said it was bliss.  I loved it.  I had no distractions, didn't have to put up with annoying things on social media, like a little social media detox.  I'll be doing this again because all the positive vibes over here!

Until next time, keep smiling :)  Em xx

PS!  Come and say hello!!! :) x

6 comments:

  1. Love this post - some really great ideas. But I must admit, I think I'd go mad without any power. I am a social media addict, and if I'm not on social media, gaming on my laptop or PC, or watching telly I'm mostly at a loss! x www.aimeeraindropwrites.co.uk x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was no where near as bad as I thought it would be! So refreshing :) Em xx

      Delete
  2. This is so helpful! Love this post xx

    / ssarahrose.blogspot.com /

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this post! These are great suggestions. I love those drawings, by the way. They look so cool! Also, it's been a long time since I did a puzzle, I need to do that soon, I always enjoyed them :)

    -Leta | The Nerdy Me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm obsessed with the line drawings hahaha I wish I could make them into something else!! Ah you need to definitely get out a puzzle soon - such a cool little thing to work on! Em xx

      Delete

Thank you for your comments! I love reading each and every one of them and will always reply to them whenever I can!

Please feel free to leave your blog links when you comment, as I always love to read new blog!

If you want a quick response for any questions you have, you can always send me a tweet: @emmadaisy___ :) Em xx