Friday, 24 March 2017

Unfollowing & Happiness Online

So this is a response post of sorts to one which Victoria from Inthefrow posted at the end of January.


I adore this gal enough as it is, but after reading this post of hers my appreciation for her grew even more.  Numbers on social media are such a huge deal for a lot of people and getting unfollowed can be quite frustrating, and when people take it personally, ah things get messy!  But this was a post where I read it, tweeted something about it and then told my mum about it because I loved it and could relate to it so much.


If you haven't already seen the post please, just go and give it a read!  You will not regret it!  Really it's in a pretty big font and in bold so you can't miss it!

Towards the end of 2016, I was having an interesting time in my life where I was starting to know the type of people I wanted to have in my life.  And that counted for both people I actually knew and then those who I'd see in the online world.

YouTube and Instagram are two social media platforms which I am on scrolling or watching content.  Seeing people pop up who I had no interest for, or their actions and posts rubbed me the wrong way just really got to me.  On Instagram people love to share their life, and I'm one of them, however it comes to a point where it moves from sharing to gloating and rubbing it in peoples faces -  and that annoyed me.

Seeing how much people contradicted themselves from the person they would portray themselves to be in an Instagram post and then seeing a completely different side of them on Snapchat and now Instagram Stories, this really bugged me.  It would be like two different people, but under the same handle and I grew more and more frustrated with the contradictions and kind of falseness that people would portray.

A whole range of reasons made me realise I don't actually have to follow everyone.  I follow people who, like Victoria said, are the type of people I'd want to be friends with in real life.   


Now to YouTube where I think unsubscribing has had the greatest impact.

I had around 200 channels that I was subscribed to on YouTube and the amount of videos I'd watch compared to the ones I didn't watch was ridiculous; I'd say I was watching maybe 40% of the videos that came into my subscriptions feed.  I know for a long time I kept staying subscribed to channels because they were popular and I kept thinking no I need to be subscribed to these people because they're influential content creators and what would people think if I said I wasn't subscribed to said content creators.

But then I thought, well I'm not really interested in their content anymore.  And also I'm not interested in the drama that sometimes comes with content creators.  I feel very old saying that hahaha

And so I unsubscribed.  Sat down and went through my subscriptions and removed channels that I didn't want to watch any longer.  It was weird, as half of me was going you're so mean for unsubscribing and the other half was going I don't feel bad about it.  

You can and I know from personal experience that you can feel so guilty unfollowing and unsubscribing from people because you don't want to offend anyone but sometimes you just have to put yourself first!

You have the power to control what you want to see, you can control your happiness so why not go ahead and do just that!  And if a simple thing as clicking unfollow does that then yay!


I think growing out of things is something that occurred as well.  I was subscribed to channels who I had been subscribed to since I was in my late teens and I'm now in my early/mid twenties and naturally what I want to watch has changed.  And while I've changed the people who I grew up watching have also changed.

Your feed, whether it is on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook or YouTube, it is yours.  So you can tailor your feed so it's one where you are happy to scroll through.

This year, I love my Instagram feed and my YouTube subscribtions.  I'm following people who I love, who inspire me, who give me new ideas, people who make me appreciate life and all that comes with it, who I wish I was friends with but can't be but I'll just keep that as wishful thinking; I'm following people who I want to follow.

If you are following someone and their content is making you feel down about yourself, making you roll your eyes every time they tweet, do it for you and click unfollow.  You won't believe how great it will be.

Let me know your thoughts on this topic, it's a pretty interesting one!

Until next time, keep smiling :)  Em xx

PS!  Come and say hello!!! :) x

4 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree more with you, Em! Unfollowing someone whose content you don't entirely enjoy is one of the best feelings. It feels relieving. I don't mind unfollowing people and I actually do that regularly, sometimes I fall out of love with their content, sometimes I see something not so nice of them or sometimes they just irritate me for some reasons, so I just unfollow. That's perfectly okay and as long as it makes you feel better, go for it! :)

    -Leta | The Nerdy Me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm the exact same as you with unfollowing someone when their content is no longer something that I enjoy.! Thank you for the love on this post :) Em xxx

      Delete
  2. Just last week, I went on a massive unfollowing spree on BL and IG and I feel SO much better for it. I was a bit gutted when about 60-80 people on IG reacted by unfollowing me, too, but I'd rather have followers who are actually interested in me and what I post than 'fake' followers. Now I don't feel that sense of anxiety when I open IG or BL. I don't feel like I'm forever trying to keep up with the new content posted by everyone I follow, and never quite getting on top of it. Honestly, it's the best thing I've ever done! x www.aimeeraindropwrites.co.uk x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so annoying how people take it personally but then I'm going I don't need to deal with it and am glad they're not on my feed anymore! Em xx

      Delete

Thank you for your comments! I love reading each and every one of them and will always reply to them whenever I can!

Please feel free to leave your blog links when you comment, as I always love to read new blog!

If you want a quick response for any questions you have, you can always send me a tweet: @emmadaisy___ :) Em xx